Monday, May 23, 2011

A Few Moments to Write, A Few Moments to Myself

I'll be completely honest, I have my children in front of a DVR'ed "Word World" (Which Ian thinks is one of the best shows ever and since it doesn't drive me nuts, I agree)
I just got home and needed to relax a bit and since I haven't told anyone that I'm alive via blog since May 5th, I figure I should.
There are posts that I have started and need to finish and edit, but those aren't in my mind right now. It has been a long couple weeks, and a long month in general. It has been raining, which during seeding makes a farmer downright scared. It was such a wet winter and spring never seemed to come. Now it is the middle of may and we only have a little over 70 acres of corn in and need to get 130 more in over the next couple days. It won't take long to get it in, but the ground must be dry enough to get it there. I run the planter we use for corn, so I haven't had a lot of time in the field, unfortunately. I don't mind the job, it's kinda relaxing and time to myself as long as everything works like it is supposed to.
The kids went to my mom and dad's for a week so we could keep seeding, the weather just didn't cooperate. So, when we got rained out again on Friday, we headed up north and stayed for the weekend. It was a good weekend, relaxing with MOm and Dad. Ended a little tense at my home church and a rather uncomfortable vote, which seems to be dragging some things on, but also causing so much pain. I see a church tearing itself apart and it made it hard. On the flip side, their interim is a fabulous preacher! A very uplifiting sermon for me to hear, so that was a blessing.
Today was wet from the inch of rain over the weekend, so I worked in town at a funeral for the funeral home. Ran errands after, dogfood (check), milk (check), ring into the jeweler (check). I came home and found good and not so good news. Our gravel roads are awful, so moving our new house in is not going to happen in the next week as we hoped. It's too wet to even get the septic tank delivered. 
The good news. Because of a standstill on fieldwork, I got to use the hired man to help me mow. (Thank you CG!) 
It's good to be home with the kids. I'm hoping to just cuddle up with them for the evening and when they go to bed, hopefully take a shower and work on packing.
But, it was nice to have a couple minutes to just decompress.

No comments: