Thursday, July 2, 2009

Identity.

I have been struggling with identity lately. Mine. I preached two times this week. A Sunday service and a Wednesday night one. It was fun. I enjoyed putting a sermon together. I preach again this Sunday at our church. Our pastor is out of town. I will also preside over communion, something I have not done in a very long time.
I have really enjoyed this.
I was at one of my old congregations for a celebration anniversary service a couple weeks ago. On the way home, Dustin asked me how I felt about it. If I had made a mistake, had regrets?
I was almost relieved to say, I left when I was supposed to. I loved the people, still do. It was great to see them. But, my call there was done. I knew it in my guts, but was unsure how to express that then. I was doing the right thing.
Now, I wonder if there is another ministry adventure out there for me.
I really don't completely know who I am right now. Pastor. that doesn't seem quite right, fully, I'm not in a call. But that is really what I see as what I do, but I don't "do" that anymore, so what is next.
Farmer/farm wife. I do the stuff, but I don't think I have ever fit the role, I don't know if I ever will completely. In some ways, I see it clearly, I can combine, dig, etc. etc. I have helped pull calves.
Mom. I feel good about this. I'm amazed at this job. I also see that I don't quite know what else to do. I feel like some of my time and talents aren't being used. I'm trapped between my old career and my new life. I love it, but I also am left asking questions of what else is there. I also know that I have a huge gift given to me staying home with Ian. I read to him. I am teaching him his prayers. I can't help but think that what I do now will effect his learning and life later.
I realize I also putting a lot of my identity in what I do. I wish I new other ways of measuring myself.
I am who I am, but I don't quite know who that is anymore.
hmmmmmmmm

2 comments:

Carol Amie said...

You are....
the one who ensures my kids know "country"...
the girl who never failed to appear with a friendly ear and some DQ a the precise moment...
the perfect mom to an angelic little boy...
Totally Awesome. :)

I relate all too well to this post and have no great words of wisdom to impart but just wanted to say that whoever you are, want to be or wish you were, I love you just as you are!

CindaRu and Dustin Too! said...

You are the best.