Monday, February 7, 2011

The weekend!

I realize I am writing two posts today. One, because I wanted to thank my cooking inspiration.  Two, I had two different trains of thought and there was no way to put them together.

So, while I am excited about my culinary adventure for the week. I realize that I unloaded about my nerves for the weekend and then would be leaving you hanging if I didn't say anything.

It was a wonderful weekend. I loved being home with my family. That really was the highlight. We played cards every night after the kids went to bed. My mom fed us wonderful food. (From the previous post, you can see what  I learned from that.)  It was relaxing. Especially for me because I get a vacation from SAHM life. Grandma and Grandpa want to and happily do everything. They told Dustin and I to go, so we took an afternoon drive to a nearby town and looked in a few stores, got groceries, took a drive and talked. It was wonderful.

I was most concerned about Sunday. I wanted to just go and preach and see people, lead worship. One person tried to corner me. With a topic, not related to homosexuality or the newest genetics buzz, but a complete weird thing that I never heard before. It was if they said to me. "I read the church is going to start sacrificing goats." 
Um. What? 
I know that people in my denomination are struggling with decisions made at a larger level. I appreciate that. I also don't think it is helpful if you start demonizing the denomination and assume the worst. I am especially bothered when you start demonizing your brothers and sisters in Christ because you disagree with them. I know that passions run high, but disagreements do not mean the other person is horrible or doesn't have a place in God's kingdom or a ministry to do.
So, people. Let me get this out there. "Do not believe everything you read on the internet or a blurp you heard on Fox News!"  You may want to do a little more research beyond that!  I will probably do a little research myself this week on the alleged goat sacrificing. (This was not the topic I was cornered with, but it might as well could have been.)

Other than that moment that I got out of rather quickly, saved by someone coming in the office. It was wonderful. I preached my sermon, lead worship. I felt energy coming back at me from the congregation and they all looked rather tired when we started.   Someone said so my mom, "There was a lot to take home for the week." To me, that is the biggest compliment there is. when someone says that it will give them something to think about during the week and for their life. I think that is one of the reasons we all get into this. We want people to see Jesus with them Monday-Saturday, not just Sunday.
So, it was a great trip home. Topped off with Youth Fellowship Subs that we got after worship. They made a very yummy lunch for the family.

So, maybe you can go home again. And maybe you can get in the pulpit again. You can't beat that for a weekend.

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

Glad things went ok...I keep folks there in prayer...

Sounds like you did a great job being a prophet in your hometown!:-)

You'll have to private message me about the "goat sacrifice"...maybe it's something somebody heard from me...if so, I did try to do good research on anything I said to folks. (And I don't watch Fox News:-))