Thursday, January 27, 2011

A Mommy Day!

Today was Mommy Day! I realize that once upon a time, I would have laughed at someone telling about a day like to day and being excited about it. But times, they've a'been  a changin'.
Today was the conference leadership meeting. All the pastors in the conference get together once a  month from October thru May. I am on leave from call, but I'm still invited. I rarely go because it's not always easy to get a babysitter set up and figure out if there's something else going one. Etc. Etc.  Today, it was held at the congregation that I served last. My interim call from last year. So, in order to see my colleague from that call and a few others I haven't talked to in awhile...I thought I'd go. I also used the opportunity to see my girlfriends for lunch.  Truthfully, the conference meeting was my excuse, the real goal was to go have lunch with the girls. I went to worship, took communion (something I haven't done in awhile because I missed church because it was -25 below and I stayed home with the babes), visited...Then ran away giggling because a day that I can have the Sacrament of the Altar and also commune with my dear friend D and K is about as perfect as  you can get.
I wasn't completely alone. It really should be called a Mother/Daughter day. I had Ella with me. Ian went with Daddy to Grandma's house.
Ella is 4.5 months old. When Ian was that age, I thought it was so much work. I was sooooo wrong. Ella's easy. Completely portable. I can provide for most of her needs from my purse. And I don't have to guess from a children's menu if there is anything on it besides french fries that my picky eater son with eat.  She'll have formula (from my purse!)
So, Ella and I ventured off on our own. We took Dustin's pickup. Um. I'm really not use to driving the 1 and 1/4 ton dually yet. I'm more comfortable in my car. (It still hasn't moved since the last storm). But I took the truck so I could take the recycling and pick up 4x8 sheets of subfloor from the lumberyard. 
See, the above paragraph is kinda why my excitment about the day is so amusing. I didn't get to go off by myself shopping or something. No. I went to a meeting. The recycling center, the lumberyard, lunch, grocery shopping, and the meat market. Oh, and after lunch I ran over to the fabulous shoestore and bought a cute pair of maryjane pumps!
It was fabulous because I got to see wonderful people. I got to shop in an unrushed manor. I got to go through a store without saying, "No, Ian. Don't touch that."  I got SHOES! I think I may have mentioned that already.  I also had 8 sirloin steaks cut fresh at the butcher. Yummy. Bad part. Dustin saw the price of the steaks! It's not like a pick up steaks every week. We have company tomorrow night. I also bought enough so I could freeze half of them. TWO MEALS!  (two expensive, I really better like the people, meals!)
Things that are a lot simpler, make me a lot happier.  And I'm glad.
Now, if I could simplify the rest of my life...I would be even more thrilled. But there is a plan for that too...more to come.
Later all, I need to go try on my shoes! 

3 comments:

Diane said...

It was wonderful to see you!!!!!!!

CindaRu and Dustin Too! said...

I had the best time toon. I don't know why I'm responding. I'm calling you in like 45 seconds! Love ya.

Rebecca said...

I think the key thing is YOU GOT OUT OF THE HOUSE! It brings such joy!:-)

I think it's probably positive that now you appreciate the little things lots more...