Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Recent Cooking Adventures




 I told someone (Flathead Mama) I would post my recent bread baking. I will be posting more of recent cooking adventures, hopefully in the next days.  I've got my first attempt at red velvet cupcakes and the decorating of the cupcakes.
I also want to show you my cake decorating tries.

But, here we have bread. I made white bread, my whole wheat flour seemed a bit old, I'll have to get more soon. I may just clean wheat out of the bin and then bring to my mom to mill. (my mom has her own stone grinding mill, I have lovingly called it my inheritance for year. The biggest reason being I covet it.  The first picture is the yeast, sugar and warm water. I love the smell of the yeast growing.

This picture is after the mixing and the first kneading. I love baking bread. I made my first loaf at age 10. I haven't done it for awhile. Mostly because, I just seemed to make excuses that I don't have time.
I realized something as I made this. I remember why I like making bread. It relaxes me. There's something about punching the dough down and kneading and feeling the texture change that is so very wonderful.  And the blissful smell that permeates the house as it bakes. HEAVENLY
Here we are with it sitting in the bowl for the first rising. It took awhile, more time than usual, but it did rise nicely.

In the loaf pans for their second rise.

Here they are. If you look behind and to the side, you can see read velvet cupcakes

So, it doesn't get any better than this. I'm hoping to keep it up. I may now try the mixer and my dough hook. But, I know it takes a bit to figure out the flour. It's easy to get too much because the dough hook works it in really well.
Here's my bread. The first I've made in awhile. Hoping that I can now do this every couple weeks. 1)it tastes better. 2) it's so much cheaper than buying it. 3) I have 25 lbs of flour because it was on sale for a great price. 4) I want my kids to have the same memory and experience I did. To see how much you can do for yourself. It's a beautiful memory and when you ask, "Where does bread come from." They will know that we grow it, escentially. It may come from out wheat, it may not, but we are part of that wonderful world of food production. They should be proud of it.


1 comment:

Rebecca said...

Thanks for posting! I've been wondering about your bread making adventures since you said you had known how to do it since a child. I LOVE that you guys know how to grind your own flour. AWESOME! Maybe you can do a post sometime on how that works, with pictures! I'd love to see!

My Mom also baked bread and she always lead me knead it because she hated the feel of the bread on her fingers.

I have a bread machine but it doesn't work as well as by hand.

This week when I baked bread, it was honestly just for something to do with Burrito. She really got into it, too. Had a great time, playing with flour, watching the bread rise. She could hardly WAIT to eat it! I followed the recipe very carefully and was SO EXCITED when the bread turned out PERFECTLY! Because it's been a long, long time since I've made the real stuff by hand.