Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Corn harvest!

So, today Dustin was called into the ambulance, so that left my in-laws and me to harvest corn. Now, the elevator is a bit slow with corn because they can only dry so much at a time. Last night we parked the semi in line and that was this morning. The Freightliner wasn't going to be ready until 3:30 p.m. This information came to me at about 8:30 a.m., so it tells you how backed up things are.
So, we decided not to start until after dinner. (My FIL and I made an executive decision, Harriet was at the dentist, so she didn't get a vote)
After dinner, I ran combine and filled trucks. We got the semi filled and the Freightliner, after it came back from the elevator, was filled again.
Those are now in line again at the elevator, we should get them back tomorrow.
The fact that we have a really good corn crop is great. The time it takes to get the corn crop is a pain. In a couple days we should have the second semi going too, but until then, I will enjoy the fact that I am done harvesting by 5:30 today.
I am now going to Jamestown to have supper with my husband and his EMT partner, who was in my EMT class, and we will then work on cardboard reindeer for the town holiday parade of lights, which is the day after thanksgiving.
I will try to take and post pictures of corn harvest soon. It is so cool. I comes into the combine really fast and in the sunlight, it looks like we are harvesting gold. It's so fun.
later

No comments: