Wednesday, February 20, 2008

It's been too long!

Greetings one and all. I am killing a couple minutes before I have to go out into the cold and drive to my round robin church tonight. For Lent, colleagues and I take turns at each others churches. Our parishioners stay put, we move. I am going to a country church tonight.
Last week we had church canceled. Which contributed greatly to my mental health last week. This week I am much more prepared and able to handle worship.
Dustin was going to meet me, but instead he is going to church with his mom. His dad has a meeting tonight, so he is going to church with her. She didn't ask, but she hinted and she will appreciate it a great deal.
I have my sermon done, bulletins for my own church handled. Hymns picked out for the next three Sundays, (thanks to my wonderful church organist husband) Dustin did not want to see me have my 4th breakdown in two weeks, so to help he offered to pick music. I love that man! I love him anyway, but greatly appreciate him when I get that kind of help. It is not easy being a pastor's husband. He at least new the politics of churches because he had worked on a church staff. But the truth is...no one really knows what to do with a pastor's husband, so in many ways, he just gets to do what he wants...but sometimes there are expectations that we could never imagine because we don't know what they are.
Example: People think he will drive me to church for things...Um, I have a car...I have a license (I've had it since I was 15) and I can drive. No, I'll get myself to church on time.
Yes, he sometimes drives me, but more often than not, on a Sunday morning we have both vehicles at the church. I lead two services at two different churches, he doesn't want to go twice. I don't blame him, I don't like to listen to me twice either, but I'm use to it.
My sermon tonight is pretty good. I think. Our series is questions in teh book of John.
My question is "What are you looking for?" from John 1. It should be fun. I actually preach more on the disciples question, "Where are you staying?" and show how that question being answered with come and see, answers the question, "What are you looking for?" The disciples didn't know what they were looking for until Jesus invited them.
So, My answer to the question...What are you looking for? Becomes..."A place to stay." For that is what they find. We all find a place to stay in Christ. Forgiveness, Wholeness, Healing...We stay here. We also find that Christ stays where those who need him are...
So, I think it might work out okay.
Good night. I need to start my car and get ready to go.

2 comments:

~moe~ said...

Do you write out your sermons or preach from the hip? If you do the former, you should post them here so I can benefit from your wisdom. :)

CindaRu and Dustin Too! said...

I do a bit of both. Because I will give this sermon several times, I have it written out. So, maybe I will post it.