Friday, February 1, 2008

Friday night of home projects and ribs!

Today has been crazy, nothing went as planned, but that's life. I was going to start the day by going to the office and kicking off early, but I didn't get there. We decided to move cows this morning, so off we went to play with the cows. It went fairly well, we moved them for our neighbors to my in-laws in two trips. It went way better than expected. Although, amusingly, we had one get away and she is still out somewhere (we can't find her). Now you would think we'd be worried, but truth, we are pretty sure she went to the summer pasture and if she gets hungry we think she'll come back to the neighbors. Either way, when she made a break for it, she looked all sorts of mad and no one was going to stop her. There is a look a cow gets in her eye when she decides that you are not going to get in her way, when she gets that crazed look...Just let her go. Now, I was nowhere near the cow when she made a break for it, so I did not have to make that decision. I did see that she was Mad.
I have to say I have come a long way since I joined the family in working cows. I never grew up with them, so I had no idea what I was doing. Wait, I still don't know what I'm doing. I was terrified. Not quite so terrified anymore. But I have gotten better. I only get yelled at every other time we have to work the cattle. Even when I get yelled at, it's usually everyone yelling because things aren't going well.
Back to my day. So, after cows it was the afternoon. I made some phone calls then went to the office. Ran off my bulletin, church calendar and other various things. (Now some of you may think the church secretary should do these things. I don't have one. I'm am a country, country preacher, I guess, so I do all my own secretarial.) The secretarial work sucks. Can I say that?
On an aside about the secretarial work. this year someone asked why we don't have a newsletter and why we don't mail out the church calendar. My response was, "Who is going to get it together and mail it?" The look I received was obvious (You, Pastor) Even though it was not voiced. I asked for a volunteer to help with that project if it was desired...Crickets...even the person that asked didn't volunteer (shocking). People do not realize that if I don't get as many visits done in a day as they would like, if my sermons aren't there, if I don't get some things done, they should directly trace it back to the 10-15 hours / week that it takes to do the office stuff, even on an easy week, it takes at least a full day. I'm just pointing this out. No one cares and I will continue to do my own office work.
Wow, I really went off the track there. I went to the office, got the bulletin, church calendar, insert, monthly report and a couple other things for Sunday ready to go. I had a volunteer for some of the stuff this week and so I had my photocopying reduced this week. People ran off two of the things that had to go out this week. YAY. I would have had help putting the stuff together except the person who was willing to help me could only do it on Monday. (My day off) and she was gone until today. Oh well.
Now, I am sitting in my basement keeping Dustin company as he replumbs our washer and dryer (we relocated them) I'm typing and the cat is keeping me company on the work bench. And for supper, we had ribs. Yum. I ordered them from our local bar (and grill) and picked them up and headed for home. Our local bar makes the best ribs, so it was quite the treat. So, that is why ribs got such a prominent place in my title for this evening. Also in honor of the cow that jumped the fence because she will be sold and eventually, she too will be hamburger.
Carol Aimee, if you read this, please call. I've left messages and I want to know how the move went. (You moved! That may be why I haven't heard from you, they packed you and haven't gotten to that box yet!)
Oh, one more bit of news. I won the t-shirt give away from ~moe~ cool. Thank you very much.

1 comment:

Carol Amie said...

I know, I know. I've been awol...between the ELL issues, the freak snow storm, the Moving Marines who must have missed *Punctuality* in Bootcamp and the virus from he!! I've been a bad friend. But, my cell actually picks up in the new place AND I've got unlimited long distance from the house so we should do better soon. Miss you!