Wednesday, June 4, 2008

It's Vacation Bible School Time!

I have yet to see the movie I have dreamed of seeing for months because evenings this week are dedicated to Vacation Bible School. But, I guess that is o.k. because the kids are having a great time, the adults are exhausted, but glad the kids are having a great time and because the sun is actually out today and it is not raining which means we can have games outside and run them for 20 minutes to get rid of some of their energy.
You see, I serve in a small church, no gym, no official classrooms, no space...So, the powerpoint display is in front of the altar, which is pushed against the wall of the sanctuary, the candles are put away, the pews are pushed around to give the kids space to do the actions...and yesterday I had the joy of watching one of the leaders help the preschoolers make mudpies in the kitchen while not getting the kitchen dirty because it was raining outside and the kids couldn't go out in it...
Two days of rain so far have made VBS a bit of a logistical nightmare, but it has still gone fairly well. YAY for us...
I am also thrilled that I will not have to write a sermon this week because the VBS kids are leading worship and we're having a joint service...So while I have to wear a t-shirt with a beaker ironed on it, while I have to sing loud and dance like an idiot, and while I have to probably explain to our altar guild that we will not be sentenced to eternal damnation for moving the altar, candles and communion rails. I do not have to write a sermon...That's a fun vacation...Whooohooo.
And as the beautiful carol aimee reminds me...I can officially say that I get to see Carol next month! That's even better.

1 comment:

Carol Amie said...

I just keep thinking "Yay! It's raining" "Wow! It's raining!" "Horrah! They're getting rain!" Sorry it's a logistical nightmare, but Wahoo, we love the rain ;)