Thursday, April 23, 2009

A Letter to Ian

Dear Ian,
Tomorrow you are two weeks old. I have looked at pictures from your first day and I am amazed that you have grown and changed already. I never would have believed our lives would change in such a crazy and wonderful way. We've gotten a lot less sleep. It takes us a lot longer to get out of the door when we need to be somewhere. We sleep in because sometimes it might be the only time you are sleeping, so we take advantage. There's been a lot of diapers to change, laundry to do, bottles to wash. I was disappointed that I was not able to breast feed you like I wanted to, I just don't have enough milk, but the 1-2 times a day that I do get to breast feed you, I really enjoy. You are so much calmer. I'm glad that you are gaining weight now, now that we know that you need the formula to get enough calories. That first week when you had your days and nights completely messed up. It was hard to get no sleep at all at night. I'm glad I was given a chance during the day when you decided you had to sleep. It was a rough week, now we seem to be settling in, it's not a breeze, but we are doing pretty well now.
The 17 hours of labor, they are all but forgotten. I would do all of it again to have you in our lives. You are absolutely the most amazing boy and you don't even do anything yet. It amazes me that God loves us enough to let us be part of his creating in this world. I now understand why God said after people were created, "And it was very good," because that is what you are. Very good. A beautiful creation and I feel so blessed to have made you.
I can watch you for hours. There are a couple days where I haven't gotten anything done, I was too busy watching you. Thank you for being a part of our lives. You are incredible.

No comments: