Monday, April 6, 2009

Wow! Look at how many times I can post in a day?

I finished a knitted baby blanket today. It's yellow. I have another blanket to finish, one I started forever ago. I ended up hating the yarn. Not the color, but working with it. It's feels great worked up, but there is no give, so I don't enjoy working with it. but, I don't have much left, so I am going to finish the blanket. I have the time.
The puppies are both sleeping. Thank goodness. They have been pretty good today. One Gracie accident, but she caught herself by the door and whined, so she is getting there.
I haven't packed my bag for the hospital yet. I would like to get the toiletries together, at least. I just haven't been in the basement to get the bag.
I found a list of what to pack for the hospital. Ummm. How long do they think you are going to be staying. I know there is a worse case scenario, but wow, some people really pack a lot of stuff. I cut the list down to what I thought I needed. I'm pretty sure that I'm overpacking. Hmmm. Still, I wouldn't know what to cut out. I'm glad that I found the list, there are some things I never would have thought of and they made sense. so, hopefully I can get a few things packed tonight. I've got the stuff. Here's the late afternoon update.

2 comments:

Carol Amie said...

here's my list:
MUST HAVE: Camera, camcorder, babybook (if you want them to do footprints for you)
Cell phone and charger

SHOULD HAVE: lotion and chapstick. Even if you don't usually use these, you'll want them.
Footwear: flip flops, slippers, something non-hospital garb to put on your feet as you walk around.
BATHROBE: same reasons as above
basic toiletries: soap, shampoo, toothbrush, toothpaste, hair brush
Clothes: 2 outfits for baby to wear home and something for you to wear home

MIGHT WANT TO HAVE:
A pen and pad to keep track of things...gifts that arrive, etc. You'll not be capable of remembering anything after the baby is born (or for years to come) and jotting notes in the side of your discharge paperwork isn't all that effective.
small bills: so you can buy thing at the gift shop
basic makeup: I took it all the first time but opted for just pressed powder, lip gloss and mascara the next two. It was sufficient.
Hair stuff: I prefer the headband but really anything you would normally use to look decent on the days when you don't REALLY fix your hair
Pillow and lap blanket: I personally think these are important for creature comforts but I was also in the hospital a REALLY long time with my kids.
Nursing Bras
THINGS YOU DON'T REALLY NEED:
Your own PJ's. Why not let the hospital deal with the laundry and mess?
Diapers, blankets, wipes, and anything else to take care of the baby. They do that for you. They'll even send you home with a few.
THINGS TO KEEP IN THE TRUNK OF THE CAR:
blankets (to cover baby when you go home)
nursing pillow (did you get yours or do you want me to send it?)
Dustin's bag: change of clothes, toiletries, snacks, etc.
Nursing pads and sanitary pads
curling iron, blow dryer, etc. if you want to get "gussied up" for going-home photos

And above all: remember your sense of humor and a list of people willing to deliver take-out meals at a moment's notice if the hospital food is bad

CindaRu and Dustin Too! said...

Thanks. Very helpful list. I did get my nursing pillow, thanks for the offer. I got it for a steal and because I got something else from the same seller, I was able to get shipping combined! Brilliant. YAY!