Monday, March 24, 2008

Easter is over :(

It was a great Easter Sunday. Easter is my favorite day in the church year, has been since forever. Lots of alleluias today...Go figure. My sermon, which I did with some notes, but left the pulpit and walked in the aisle went absolutely great. Sometimes you are pretty sure the sermon went well, today was one of those days.
It felt good to feel inspired to preach again. I know that sounds silly, but sometimes preaching just is hard. I can put together a fair sermon, I can deliver it fine. People can even get something out of it, but sometimes delivering it can be very labored. People don't always realize, but it takes a lot of energy to deliver a sermon. It's one direction, you talk...hopefully you have an engaged community and you feel something coming back, but sometimes you don't. Either way, it's a lot of energy. I often feel spiritually drained as well. I'm an introvert as well, so it is a lot of external processing time. In spite of all that, preaching is one of my favorite parts of being a pastor. But I've been in a preaching rut lately, just feeling blah, and like I don't have enough time and like I'm not doing my best and so I'm left tired, but lacking some invigoration. Today, I felt like my normal preaching self and that was a gift, I hope it stays. I pray it does

1 comment:

Carol Amie said...

Yay for feeling great about you sermon!
Now, how to make every Sunday feel as good as Easter? Hmmm...if the plan involved all the other Eater-ish stuff, my kid wouldn't object, either. :)