Wednesday, March 12, 2008

MIA again!

Hi all,
I'm stressing out. I have my last midweek worship tonight. Well, last Wednesday and then it is holy week, which means I start feeling not so holy and more crabby.
There is so much going on. Dustin is taking his final paramedic exam tomorrow. I'm so nervous and excited for him.
I am taking my practical EMT exam for my basic certification on Saturday. I am so not ready. I need to work on trauma assessments, but it's the week before holy week, how much time do you think I really have to spend on this. I'm totally freaking out, but I will make it. I would appreciate prayers, if you are not a prayer, please cast your good thoughts into the universe for me.
So, I ruined my pastoral image with some of Dustin's co-workers. Okay, the new coworker, I ruined my pastoral reputation with the rest of them long ago. Question: Is it really offensive if a pastor swears? I would like opinions. I don't take God's name in vain. I do say s--t or d--n from time to time. I don't use those words in front of parishioners, I don't just let 'em drop in most circles. Just, you know, when the word comes out. Like it does for others.
Now, I did not offend the co-worker, I think he was more at ease that he didn't have to be all nervous about the pastor being around, but there is my question. When is it okay to be yourself. I don't really struggle with this question, but since it has hit me today, I need to ask.
I also have realized that for a lot of dustin's coworkers, I am the only person that they can ask "god" questions to. I get them all the time. What do you think of this? What is church supposed to be like? I think this is kind of cool.
Anyway. I must go deal with the people that really do go to church now.
Later

1 comment:

~moe~ said...

Well, I'm a heathen and skipping church tonight. Hell, i've skipped wednesday services all of Lent. I've never understood the purpose behind them, especially when the church I frequent has guest speakers. Ugh.

Anyway - I'm all for a pastor swearing - it brings the humanity back into that person. I'm not saying let F&&& fly left and right (there are military people who can take care of that for you - i.e. me) but a drop of shit or damn - not a big deal.

When i was in confirmation, we held our classes in the basement of the church. One day I had forgotten something I was supposed to bring and I said, "Shit!" well the class was ecstatic that I had sworn because Miss Goody Two Shoes had committed a "sin" IN CHURCH! Well, my pastor said, "First, we're in a basement. Second, shit, we're all sinners." :) Now that might not have been entirely appropriate but it proved a point.

I affirm you. Oh, and the whole getting asked God questions - I try not to let out the OT factor of me because I get all sorts of OT questions and I can't remember a thing. :) You, however, are gifted so I think it's cool people come to you (and feel comfortable doing so - some people won't even get that far).

I'm tossing up prayers for both you and Dustin. *hugs!*