Saturday, April 19, 2008

I'm home. It's Saturday Night, I have no sermon.

I know I am not the first pastor to not have a sermon ready on a Saturday night and I know I won't be the last.
I left after conducting a funeral on Wednesday and went to my mom and dad's. I came home Friday. My cousin's funeral was on Thursday. When I got home Friday I found out that I had a parishioner go back into the hospital and I went and visited today. I'm sure there are some pastors that would do the sermon before the visit, I am not that pastor. I will go see a person first and I think that is usually where I belong.
As I was on my way home, I saw fire from a distance, someone burning I CRP field I'm sure. I'm sure they didn't get the memo that there is a burning ban on in our county. I have a weird thing when I see a fire in the distance. Until I can know for sure the location of the fire in proximity from my house, I always swear I am going to find that a fire is going to be my house going up in flame. I realize this is paranoid, but unless I'm sure, I'm waiting to come home to my house as a towering inferno. Then I wonder, would anyone call the fire dept. If they did, would the fire dept. be able to get my dogs and cat out?
Also on my home. I am trying to figure out a new house that has gone up. Someone has built a house in the neighboring township. It is supposedly a multi million dollar house, with a multi million dollar horse barn. Now, it is away from the road, but still visible. I can't tell which is the house and which is the barn. In the last couple months, over several trips by, I have changed my mind several times about which is which. They don't really live close enough for me to stop in with a welcome to the neighborhood loaf of bread, but I may anyway. I want to get close enough to figure out which is which. I will be more concerned if while in the yard I can't tell. Either way, from a distance or up close, I fear that the sad truth may be that their horses live in a better house than I do. Maybe they would let us move into a stall?
Well, I really should finish putting together that sermon. Good night.

No comments: