Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Sometimes it's the little things (or why my mechanic rocks!)

Now, I am completely capable of walking the block from the church to the corner service station and picking up my car. But, I just looked outside and there sits the Toyota. My mechanic brought it down for me.
It's a little chilly today, so I am very thankful. My vehicle needed an oil change and a brake job. I brought it in this morning and said to call when it was ready.
I think my mechanic is awesome. He and his wife joined my church about two years ago. They got married at about the same time. He's been my mechanic for 6 years. Not only does he do a great job fixing cars, but he is a mean cook and I have enjoyed many a meal at their house. They are some of the only people in town my age, so I am glad I have had the chance to hang out with them from time to time. He also makes a peach kuchen bar that is so good that you can't just eat one. Trust me, I have tried and failed again and again.
My confirmation students come in about 25 minutes. This is our second to the last class. I don't have them come in May. They are so stir crazy that I have found it easier to plan the schedule so we can be done at the end of April. We will be short some stuff because I had to cancel a few classes, but it's not a huge deal.
I am working hard at getting ahead on hymns and worship planning so I can take some vacation days in the weeks ahead. I won't be taking off Sunday's, but I need a couple extra days off each week until we are done with seeding. I am going to learn how to drive the corn planter. I'm kind of excited about this, don't tell Dustin.
We bought an EZ steer, so I will be able to go straight. How can I not go straight, the tractor will be driving itself with GPS and I only have to turn it around at the ends. I'm really excited to see if it will be saving us the chemical, seed, and fertilizer we think it will. I will be able to map the field and then when Dustin comes back to spray it, he can bring up the field that I mapped when I planted it and it should follow the same path and keep us from overlapping spray and keep it in the tires in the rows. It should be cool. We went and picked up the new corn planter on Monday and will have to do one more day of work on it and then we can use it. It's kind of exciting. We'll plant corn with the planter and beans too, which means we can plant beans using the airseeder and planter both and we should be able to get quite a bit done.
It is Natural Resource Conservation Week this week. So, we will start Sunday with a litany that is written for the Sunday. The next week, farmers and gardeners are invited to bring seed to church and we will have a blessing of the seeds and the upcoming growing season. It is a special Sunday for our farmers.
I hear the kids coming it. Better go

No comments: