Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Expectations vs. No Expectations

I am being a bit of a baby right now.
Cookie baking today was an absolute blast.
Dustin kinda made life sting. Our dinner plans, if you read my previous post, were changed. So, we didn't have a dinner at home. We instead were to go to the grill.
When I got to Jmst, there was a transfer, so he had to work 1st. Now, I know this happens, but I probably wouldn't have gone in if I knew this. Instead of a birthday dinner at a great restaurant, I got a sandwich at Perkins with Dustin and his partner for the night.

Now, if I had no expectation on the day, I wouldn't be disappointed. I know he can't help having to work. Not his fault. I just hate feeling like I am an afterthought. I really don't know if I get a birthday outing any more. Tomorrow we'll combine corn, I'm sure all day if we can. It will be a non-birthday.

Why do I always set myself up this way? I get excited about something...then disappointed. This seems to happen on my birthday every year. I have thoughts that it is going to be wonderful...it ends up just another day...no big deal.
I know I am going to be 33 years old and that birthdays really shouldn't matter anymore, but for me, I guess they still do. Sometimes you want to be made a big deal out of, well at least I do.

I guess my thought is that if I didn't have expectations of what was supposed to happen, I wouldn't have been disappointed. I probably would have enjoyed my sandwich and not thought twice. The fact that I was told I was going to get a lot more and that I got "downgraded" is what is bothering.

So, is it better to know what you are missing or not?

2 comments:

~moe~ said...

I go with "not". In my family there are 4 birthdays really nearby each other. Three are right in a row, then there are about 3 days off and then mine. There have a been a few years where mine has been forgotten. So I adopted my father's philosophy that it's just another day and then if I want to do something for my birthday I make a point to do it for myself.

This year, I took the day off and told my boss I needed to meet with my tax lawyer (I actually did) and then relaxed all day. He didn't realize until 3 days later that he had missed my birthday and only then because my friend had dropped off a gift for me at work and told them.

There's also the tradition on Denmark that if you want to celebrate your birthday you host the party. And no one brings gifts unless you actually put that on the invitation. I actually like this because it makes more sense...then the person can have what they want without having to rely on others.

But that's just my two cents worth (but I talk a lot so that might have been a quarter). :)

ALL that said - Happy Birthday a wee bit late.

Carol Amie said...

Sorry your day was a bummer. Even more sorry to tell you that NO ONE will remember you even have a birthday once you've had a child. On the other hand, you do get to plan the best parties for at least the next 10 years...