Thursday, February 12, 2009

66 days until my due date! How did that happen?

I am shocked at how close the baby's due date is. Is anyone else? It seems like yesterday I found out I was pregnant. How I put the test in an envelope with Dustin's name on it and gave it to him as a gift. "Look honey, my pee on a stick." Don't worry people. The pee was not exposed.
He looked at the two lines and said, "Does this mean you are pregnant?"
"Yes."
"Really, are you sure there are two lines, it looks faint."
"Faint or not, if there is two, there's a baby."

Insert male goofy grin here. A man has a certain amount of pride when he gets his wife pregnant, it's kinda weird.

I'm the one who now has had all the hard work. He contributed one sperm. I have given up my body to a wild, nine month science experiment.

Anyway, it seems like yesterday that I found out.

The funny part, I had purchased an ovulation kit a few days before. It hasn't come out the box. I hope they have a long shelf life.

After we found out I was pregnant, a lot of things made sense. I was tired all the time. My body would change temperatures from too hot to too cold all the time. I was moody. I felt queezy a lot. I have not had processed ham in a long time. The thought of it still makes me wretch. I did start liking hamburger again, which is good. I would have starved at my mother in law's house if I couldn't eat hamburger.

This ride has been interesting. Not overly bumpy, definitely not smooth. It has had its ups and downs like all of life.
Lately, I can now see my stomach move when the baby is moving. It's still subtle, but it definitly moves. This amazes me. I'll be sitting on the couch and my stomach will start to move around a bit. I have felt the baby for a long time now. Dustin has been able to feel it for several weeks when his hand is on my stomach. Now, to see it. It's very incredible.
I didn't look very pregnant for a long time. now, there really is no mistaking it. My stomach enters the room way before I do. I waddle like a duck. Not attractive, but I can still get where I am going, so who am I to complain. I am really tired a lot of the time and the baby has grown big enough that my lungs are being squished and breathing is more difficult.
I do not know the last time I had a good, deep breath or the last time that I didn't get tired climbing the stairs.
Some of these things fascinate me, others annoy me. In the end. I would do it all again. I can't wait to meet our son. I can't wait to count his toes and fingers. I can't wait to put him in the first outfits I bought him. But I will wait because, he's not ready to come yet.
I have been craving a lot of sweets lately. I usually am a salt craver, so the sweets has been interesting. I try to usually have fruit, but sometimes, I just need icecream or chocolate. Cheesecake is my friend as well.
My glucose tolerance test went well. I passed like a champ. I was a bit worried with my family history and with my own body type that I was going to have to take real steps to watch for gestational diabetes. I have eaten remarkably well during my pregnancy. I am surprised. I have gone a little sweet crazy in the last weeks, but for the most part, I have eaten better than I have in a long time. I am hoping to continue this while breastfeeding as well and continue it beyond.
At my last appointment, I finally went back up to the weight I was when I first went to my OB. I lost quite a bit in my first trimester and in my appointments following I still lost 1-2 lbs every appt, except for one. Baby is growing more quickly now, so the weight is normal.
It is likely that I will weigh less after birth than before I was pregnant. This is nice to think about having a head start at taking off post baby weight. Until then, I am not worrying about it. Baby needs to eat, so I will.
I have survived painful Braxton-Hicks contractions. I hope that means that birth will be easier. I have signed up for a breastfeeding class and Dustin and I will go to prenatal classes next month. All of this says, "you are getting very close!"
WOW! I would do it all again, but I am excited to start the next part of the journey. I know that pregnancy is, in many ways, the easy part. Raising another human being is the challenge, but we aren't doing it alone.
I hope I can enjoy these next weeks. Remember everything. Be patient. Cherish and not take for granted the last weeks as a couple instead of a threesome. There seems to be so much to get done before our little boy arrives. But I don't want to do so much "doing" that I forget to enjoy all the other things. So, here's to not forgetting and enjoying the journey.
Now, I think I will get a snack.

1 comment:

Carol Amie said...

Mmmm. Cheesecake. *sigh* Where are the pictures, btw?